Changing My Name on My Green Card After Marriage

With a green card (also known as a permanent resident card) you can live and work in the US permanently. If your name is changed after getting remarried, you have to update this information on your green card. You can file for a replacement of your green card with the updated information online or by mail.

Filing Online

Visit and fill out Form I-90. You can create a new user ID and password to log in to the E-filing system. After completing the form, you will be provided a list of additional documentation that you have to submit. Pay the required fee online by credit card or deduction from your checking or savings account. The filing fee is $450. (This includes the $365 filing fee plus the $85 biometric fee).

You have to submit copies of any required additional documents, such as your marriage certificate, photo ID and birth certificate. USCIS will not start processing your application until all necessary forms have been completed. You have to mail the documents to:

Nebraska Service Center
Attn: E-Filed I-90 Application
P.O. Box 87090
Lincoln, NE 68502-7090

The USCIS will send you an appointment notice to have your biometrics taken. You are supposed to bring the necessary documents with you to your appointment. Make sure you bring your biometric appointment notice and the original court order or marriage certificate reflecting the new name. It is also mandatory that you bring a valid photo ID. Only your passport, national photo identification issued by your country, driver’s license, military photo ID or state-issued photo ID will be accepted.

Filing by Mail
Download Form I-90 and complete it. The form will come with detailed filing instructions regarding the supporting documents that you are required to submit. You’ll need to submit the original court order granting your name change or a certified copy of the court order or the marriage certificate indicating your new name.

You have to pay the required filing fee (same as mentioned earlier). Checks should be made payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security.” Mail the completed form, necessary supporting documents and the filing fee to:

P.O. Box 21262
Phoenix, AZ 85036

If you are using USPS Express Mail or a private courier service, mail it to the following address:

Attention: I-90
1820 E. Skyharbor, Circle S, Floor 1
Suite 100
Phoenix, AZ 85034

After filing your application, USCIS will send you a notification regarding when to go to your local USCIS Application Support Center (ASC) for your biometrics appointment. Bring the necessary documents with you to your appointment.

If you want to change any information on your submitted I-90 application, you are required to bring evidence to support the change with you while you appear at your local ASC. You should not send written correspondence regarding such changes.